Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Our Biggest Girl!

Livy is walking! I should have mentioned this in the last post but she had just started to venture out and try out her legs. She is so so happy to be able to get about and go wherever she wants. It's amazing how content she is now that she's gained that independence. We love it! She's so fun to watch...she just goes from one end of the room to the next as fast as she can smiling and laughing the whole way. What a joy she is in our lives!

Not much else to report. My Grandpa Melnyk (my mom's father) has been pretty sick the last little while. He's 93 and has lived an amazing life. My mom is actually flying to California tomorrow because they don't think he'll make it through the week. Facing this has had me thinking about life and death... this will be the first family death that I'll face. I've been so blessed to have both sets of grandparents for so long in my life. My grandpa is not a member, but I just know that as soon as he gets on the others side of the veil that he'll realize what we've been trying to tell him all these years. He's one of the most honest and generous men I've ever met, and I know the Lord will know how to put him to work.


Here are some things I'm especially going to miss:
*I'm going to miss him pretending his cane is a machine gun and shooting all his relatives down. Haha! He's so great!
*His amazing stories from WWII and his travels from around the world.
*Sitting with him in his office that has stacks of the New York Times and National Geographic magazines.
*His awesome artifacts in his office (swords, other weaponry, and his random Nazi hat)
*How loud he watches television
*How whenever a patriotic song was played he'd pound on the closest surface to the rhythm
*His crazy long white eyebrows, and how'd he trim them with the scissors on his Swiss Army Knife.
*Mostly for the life lessons his taught vocally and through example. His love for this wonderful country.
*My favorit quote from Grandpa Melnyk, "Be gay (happy) and live it up!"

How GREAT is he?! He even hit the bull's eye on the target!

I know I don't tell any of my family enough, but I love them all so much and am so grateful for all they teach me and for putting up with me and my weaknesses. I love you Grandpa!

2 comments:

  1. Hey sweet thing!
    I'm so glad you added me to your blog - I feel like I have lost touch with so many people. So I skimmed through a few of your past posts...
    1- Sorry to hear about your grandpa. I lost both of mine since HS...not fun, but at the same time I grew spiritually.
    2- CONGRATS! on a new comer. And might I add...good luck! HA - kids are wonderful at bringing such joy and wonderful at bringing such a headache sometimes. :o)
    3- I can TOTALLY relate to the whole...do people even read this blog? I thought about stopping too, but then realized that this is an easy way to do some journaling...which I am really not very good at. At the end of the year I can print it off. Keep it up - I will leave you comments!

    Sending hugs your way!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! So I don't read blogs that often and even though we live next door I enjoy reading your blog so keep it up!

    ReplyDelete